Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 9--The most unpleasant tire change in the history of man/pucker factor code red broken arrow






It is amazing the things which can happen in a day while riding a bike.  I had "experiences" today that I will be telling my grand kids if I ever manage to have any.
The day started very early.  The residents of the RV park were up and at em by 5:30.  They came in the clubhouse and made coffee and started talking about old trucks and solenoids and stuff like this.  It was interesting to hear them talk about days of their youth.

I got all packed up and was on the road by the time the sun peaked its little head over the mountains.  The first 30 miles was done in just 3 hours with some pretty serious climbing.  When I got to the city of Superior I noticed I had another flat.  Another effing flat on the same tire!  Seriously?  It is never pleasant to change a tire on a bike; not for me at least.  It is even more unpleasant when you have to do it on a fully loaded bike.  Here is what happened today:   First, I set the bike to the side and went into the store for a coffee, hot dog, and a coke.  You know, power food.  Once I finished the hot dog I got to work on the bike.  When you change a loaded bike you have two options.  You can unload everything and turn the bike upside down and work on it that way.  This is the easier way but more time consuming.  The next way is to lift the front of the bike with one hand (assuming the front tire is the problem area) and remove the tire with the other hand.  This usually isn't that hard.  Today, Mr. Bee was curious.  As I had 70 pounds of bike in one hand and wrestling with the tire with my other hand a bee started buzzing me.  He then landed on my lip and buzzzzzzed me.  I am not afraid of bees, but I still do not like the thought of being stung on the lip by one.  So I made the "pshsshhh plllssssttt" sound with my lips trying to get him away all the while fighting the bike.  He went away finally and I got the tire off successfully.  When I got the tire off of the wheel I realllllly inspected the inside.  I did last night as well, but not in the sunlight.  On my third trip around the inside of the wheel I saw a small glimmer of light...a reflection of metal.  The smallest piece of wire was in there just hoping I didn't find him again so he could ruin another tube.  I got you buster.  It took me three tries to get the tube seated properly in the wheel...yet another part of this that made it unpleasant.  Now I finally got it all situated and ready to put back on the bike.  Now mind you, last night, when I got to this point the tire slipped back on with ease.  Not the case today buddy.  Again, you have to lift the bike with one hand while you slip the wheel on with the other.  Your hands are tied so to speak.  Well, while I am doing this, the wheel is just not cooperating.  After a few tries with no luck I start to talk to the bike/wheel--pleading a little bit for it to work out.  When that didn't work I started to yell and cuss at it.  It was rated R for sure. Now I am mad and threatening violence and death upon an inanimate object.  Still didn't work and my volume went up.  About this time my right nostril decided to have a little fun and stared to bleed profusely for no apparent reason.  The blood was running down my face and neck, I am yelling and swearing--completely lost my temper.  Then guess who wanted to see what was going on?  Yeah, Mr. Bee came back.  All up in my face.
In the end I finally got it on but I am sure I looked like a mad man with blood all over my face and me yelling at the bike.  She has held up just fine since then and I hope I don't have another flat for a few days at least.
The real climbing started after this little town.  It was something like in 15 miles I went up 2500 feet.  Dont quote me on that but it was easily the steepest climb of the trip yet.  The highlight of the climb was going through the Queen creek tunnel.  It is about a mile long with a six inch (maybe) shoulder.  I almost  hitched a ride through it but my manliness wouldn't let me.  It was the most scared I have been in years.  Probably in the top ten ever.  You know how in The Goonies when the kids were being chased the ran fast--but also yelled at the top of their lungs?  That was me in the tunnel.  I was pumping my legs as fast and as hard as I could  pretty much screaming the whole way.  It is hard to describe but I was certain I was going to be smushed or clobbered or smushed and clobbered at any second.  Alas, I made it through.
There was a lot more climbing but once to the top  I got to bomb it down at sometimes 40 mph.  This was also nerve racking because there was zero shoulder.
I made it into Globe AZ at about 3:30.  My plan was to keep going out into the San Carlos Apache Reservation to camp.  A man saw me looking at my map and came to help out.  He HIGHLY recommended I don't camp out in the "Res".  I guess the get a little rowdy out there at night.  I took his advice and am now at an RV park here in Globe.  The property manager is "Slim".  Super nice guy and offered me a hot shower in his "rig"....but I was already in my sleep gear and declined.
I will say the citizens of Globe--at least of what I saw of it--are we will say, unsavory.  I took all my bags off and put them in my tent with me.  I also locked my bike up tight tight.  One thing I am disappointed with so far is I have yet to start a fire on this trip.  That was kind of a selling point for me.  Perhaps tomorrow I will be able to light one up.
Right before I got into my tent for the night Slim said that sometimes there are "problem people" around these parts.  Lets just say I have my boom boom stick close by tonight.  With that, I am calling it a night.  Until next time, have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment