Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 11--America at 4 MPH


If yesterday was the most pleasant day of the ride so far, today was the most rewarding.
I was on the road by 6:30.  It was freaking cold as ice.  My little fingers almost fell off.  It only took about a half hour to warm up though.
I made good time for the first 30 miles or so...and then the hills came.  There actually was only two big climbs, but they were monsters.  The second one being the most challenging thing I have ever done to date.  I could see it for 10 miles before I got to it.  I kept thinking and hoping that "that can't be the road--that is way too high to be a road"  It was the road I had to climb.  It took me 4 hours at about 4 miles an hour to get to the top.  I had to stop every mile or so to breath and let my legs rest.  It is hard to explain, but when I got to the top I felt like a mananimal!  The decent was the reward.  Almost zero traffic and I was able to just use the whole road and bomb it.  Tight turns, fast downhills, smile on my face.  It was great.
I stopped for water at Threeway.  I asked if I could top my bottles off and the guy said there was a hose out back.  Dick.  I told him I will buy his overpriced bottle water.  (It actually came out, "Um, I will just get some bottled water").
I ended up in Buckhorn New Mexico--yes, I made another state!  woot woot.
Buckhorn was not as I imagined.  By the time I got there I was super tired and was dreaming of a steak dinner and a hotel.  There are no restaurants in Buckhorn.  There is no hotel in Buckhorn.  I camped out but did get a small pizza from The Last Chance For Liquor store.  I only met 6 people in Buckhorn-all of them were super nice.  Not all that up to date on technology, but nice.  I would go into that more, but I am about to crash out.....

1 comment:

  1. When I was at the place in Threeway and asked about a place to fill up, the woman who was working there (about 10am?) said that the water inside "tasted like ass" and she fills up at the faucet outside.

    ReplyDelete