Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 4-- Long Easy Day


Today we covered a lot of ground but not much really happened.  We left Nancy's house around 8 and made it to Blythe a few hours later.  There we stopped at Starbucks and enjoyed a coffee and tried to update the blog.  The interwebs were moving at the speed of smell so we took off.  Shortly after that we crossed into Arizona.  If nothing else, I have biked across California!  We then spent most of the rest of the day on I-10...trucks and cars zooming by.  We had a slight head wind, but I think we have had that everyday now.
Water was a concern the whole way as the towns were few and far between.  I carried about a gallon at all times.
We really didn't have a destination today....we ran out of light in between cities.  Jason was about a quarter of a mile ahead of me and I saw him start to pass a random Mexican food joint.  I am pretty sure I would have spear tackled him if he did pass it as I was starving.  When I caught up to him he asked what I wanted to do.  I said "Lets eat!"  And we did.
I had the Burrito Supreme.  It was ginormous!  Any other day I wouldn't have stood a chance at finishing it.  Today, I killed it and ate a fish taco and had two beers as well.
It was well after dark now and we had no plan what so ever on where to camp.  I asked our very friendly waitress if we could sleep behind the restaurant.  (Dos Amigos near Hope AZ).  She asked the owner and she said yes.  Thank you to the owner and staff of Dos Amigos.  The food was great, the staff friendly and pretty, and the gravel behind your restaurant super comfortable.
And that is where we slept.  On a side note, I think I found the cure for insomnia.  Ride your bike through the mountains for 60 to 80 miles a day.  You will sleep deep and long.

No comments:

Post a Comment