Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 24--Alpacas, Jackasses, and Bigfoot--Oh My!




I am glad I didn't attempt to go from Llano to Spicewood yesterday.  It turns out it was a pretty big ride.  Only 50 miles but there were some little monster hills on the way.  I don't think I would have made it in until 8 or later.
While it was a hard ride, it was very enjoyable.  I really took my time as I didn't think it would take more than a few hours to complete.  I came across a lot of livestock on the way. There are ranches with the obvious cattle everywhere; but also some animals you really wouldn't expect to be "raised."  Deer ranches, alpaca ranches, jackass ranches (the animal, not the people).  The deer were very care free--they must somehow know they are free to do as they like on the fenced in land.  (Dear deer,  you will be jerky in a few months.  xoxo, JJ)
I also find it amusing that the cows really show an interest in me as I pass.  They ignore the cars and trucks...but all of them look up and follow me with their gaze as I pass.  Curious little guys.  (Dear Cows, you will be steak in a few months, xoxo, JJ)  (Do you eat alpacas?)
A friend's parents live in Spicewood TX and they put me up for the night.  It could not have been a better experience.  The only complaint I can have is they live on the bottom of a huge hill.  As I was bombing down it at the end of the day I was having fun until I realized it was the first thing I was going to have to climb in the morning.
Cindy and Jim were beyond awesome.  As soon as I got there they fed me a BBQ turkey sandwich with potato salad.  Cindy washed my clothes while I took a shower.  We talked about this and that and got to know each other.
About this time their neighbor Judy came over and need help with Bigfoot.  Here is a paraphrase of what I overheard:
Judy: "Jim, I need you to help me put Bigfoot on my tractor."  Jim: "oh?  What for?"  Judy: "This and that this and that.  I would do it myself but it would take me all day"
Everyone in the room knew what this Bigfoot was all about except me--I just kept picturing a real live Bigfoot that needed to be put on a tractor.  So we took the golf carts up to Judy's land (this is the preferred method of travel on ones property in Spicewood) And Bigfoot ended up being a big ditch digging tool.  (see attached picture)  I really enjoyed helping put it on...it took us 15 minutes to get "him" attached right.
Once we got Bigfoot on, we went back down to Jim and Cindy's place and started dinner.  I offered to help but was shot down.  We had deer steak as the meat---and it was GLORIOUS.  I had three plates.  I haven't had a home cooked meal in at least a month.
After that we went down and made a big fire and talked and had some beer for about an hour.  Soon after they set me up in their Airstream camper.  It was like sleeping in an airplane.  On the inside it is shaped just like an airplane--I should have taken some pictures.
All in all, it was a great day and I met some great people.  I am most sure I will see them again in the future.
Finally, some thanks are in order to a number of people.  First, Talia Eames.  I met her in Kuwait years and years ago and she made a large donation today.  Thanks smalls!
Amber Parry also donated.  I am not familiar with your name Amber---please message me and refresh my memory--Thanks though!
And!  A super cool gesture from Venison World--They donated 200 dollars to WWP.  I stopped in there a few days ago and got some of their jerky.  (The elk is off the hook!)  In this blog I was pretty vague about the location of this store because at the time I could not remember the name of the town.  Venison World is located in Eden TX.  "The Gem  of the Hill Country" If I remember correctly.
As far as the donations go--We are very close to $1000.  Thank you so much for your generosity to a great cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment