Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 8--Out of Phoenix, But Not By Much

Even though I got myself waterproofed last night I was not eager to brave the storm this morning.  So, I waited it out in the comfort of my room until about 10:30.  By then the rain had all but stopped and I had a nice ride through the city.  I got mixed up on my directions a number of times and it took most of the day to get out of stop light central.  When I finally made it out of the city I noticed I had my second flat of the journey.  I still had a couple hours of light left and wanted to tear up some miles but happened to be passing a KOA so I decided that an early day would be fine.  When I was about to check in I found out they wanted $28 dollars to pitch my tent!  I can do that for free if I have a good magazine.
I decided I would just do some stealth camping off the side of the road but a few blocks from  the KOA I saw a RV park.  Certain I knew the answer, I asked the property manager if I could set my tent up for the night.  She said that by law she couldn't let me.  So I said thanks and got ready to go on my way.  Before I could go she asked about where and why I was riding.  When she found out she immediately said I can sleep in the club house for free.  Sweet digs!
There is a TV, which allowed me to watch the NASCAR.  There is a sink, stove, microwave, etc...showers and a bathroom.  Much better than off the side of the road.
I fixed my flat and patched the old tube and got my bike all ready for tomorrow.  It will be back to the country roads tomorrow--a lot of climbing but I am excited to get some serious miles knocked out.  The last few days I have not made it to far, so it is catch up time.
One last thing; the property manager's name is Rita and I want to say thanks for your hospitality one last time.  THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment