Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 21--Saved By the English

I started the day patching my pathetic selection of tubes.  I managed to save two in addition to the ones on my bike.  Each of the spares now had three patches on them.  Not very fresh to say the least.
The back up pump is just not designed to put 100 lbs in a tube.  I pumped as much as I could and I may have gotten 60 pounds in the back tire.  The front one was still holding strong even though there was a piece of metal sticking in it.  I didn't pull it out because of the tube dilemma.  (I pulled it out tonight and the tube was good to go still)
As I got on the road to the north, the winds were blowing from the north like no other.  Yesterday they were from the south.  Go figure.
There was no way I would make it to San Angelo.  Both in time and wind to fight.  I also really didn't have a lot of faith in my tires.  There really was no point in trying to make it--I was headed north, not east.  I added 70 miles or so to the trip.
I thumbed it.
I was picked up by Lynden and Laurie English.  Luck would have it they were going to San Angelo as well.  Also, turns out both of their boys are in the Air Force and seem super squared away.
They not only drove me to San Angelo, but they took me to the bike shop, got me diner at Texas Roadhouse, and delivered me to the base where I am now.  I am very much in debt with them and hope one day to be able to pay them back.  Thank you much!
At the bike shop, Concho Bike Shop, they were super awesome.  Twice I almost bought expensive items but they advised against it for what I am doing.  They are not pressure sales at all.  Thank you to you Concho!
At the bike shop I bought 6 more tubes, butt lube, and a new pump.  ( I will explain butt lube in a later post).  My new pump works well but I miss my old one.  It really was one step down from a floor pump.
So, I am on base--I have everything ready to go and my new route planned out.  I calculated the miles and I can still make it on time.  It will take some really long days, but I think I can make it to the coast by the 12th or 13th.
We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment