Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 18--Four Score and...Two More Score and One Mile Ago...

I was in Van Horn.  Now I am in Fort Stockton which if my "score math" is right, is 121 miles away.  That's right baby!  Finally got over a hundred miles in a day.
Other than the fact I made it over a hundred, it was a pretty uneventful day.  I got a nice early start and kind of warmed up at a slow pace for 15 miles or so.  Two other tourers caught up to me  and we rode together for a few miles. From where we split up to Kent I put it in high gear and was getting about 30 mph pretty easy.  When I got to Kent, I met another guy on a bike.  He was a little odd, but nice enough.  We only talked for a few minutes and I continued on.  I made amazing time for the first 80 miles.  I was, without a doubt, 100% sure, I was going to get into FT Stockton well before the sun went down with the pace I was setting.  20-30 mph all day long.  Easy peasy.  I then met the longest shallow hill in the world.  It was 40 miles of up.  Never anything too taxing but hard to keep it at 10-to 15 mph.  By the time I got to the 100 mile mark I was pretty much spent and the sun was about to go down.
In the end, I didn't get in to Ft Stockton until about 7 or 7:30 and I was really really beat.  Riding on the freeway after dark is no bueno.  I would have just found a place to camp but I was out of water--Like I said, I was making such good time I didn't think I would have to worry about water.  From this point on I am going to have a container of water for just such situations.  Back up water you can say.
Tomorrow, the next town of any size is 108 miles away.  I don't know that I have the juice to do another century back to back so road side camping is probably what is going to happen.  Who knows though, maybe I will be able to rock it.
I also do look forward to getting back on the bike route.  Freeway riding is not as nice.  Easier, yes.  But not as nice.
FYI, I went off route to make up some time.  By staying on the freeway I was able to skip about 200 miles off of the Adventure Cycling Association route.  Here in two days I will be back on that route and I doubt I will leave it again for this trip.
With that, I am spent.  I am going to bed.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

1 comment: