Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 3--Farmland, Sand Dunes, and Effing Rolling Hills--75-200 total





Today started fairly early.  We went through some farm country at first.  The smell of cow crap and hay was all about us.  Somehow it didn't really stink.  We made great time for the first 30 miles.  This 30 miles took us past the farmland into the sand dunes of Southern California.  It was a stark contrast to go from green farmland to what I imagine Egypt looks like.  Nothing but sand as far as you can see.  I wanted to make a sand angel, but was sure that would have been a huge mistake with the sand all in my clothes.
We stopped for a quick break in a place I will call, Some Hole in the Wall.  We refilled our water bottles...it was cheap.  Only $3 a bottle. (sarcasm.)  There was a group of dirt bikers there and they couldn't get over our bikes and gear.  I gave them my card about my trip and I hope they are following our trip.  
After this, Jason, the Mananimal, took off and left me in the dust.  The destination was Palo Verde CA.  
Now into the rolling hills.  I always thought of rolling hills as a nice romantic way to describe a landscape.  No longer!  On a bike, they suck.  Especially when there is a steady head wind.  My knee was hurting very bad and my heel was agony.  Lets not even get into the condition of my butt.  All in all, for me, it wasn't a pleasant ride.  I am still in the "growing pains" part of my trip--I am sure it will get better.
I arrived in Palo Verde just before dark at a woman's house whose name is Nancy.  She is part of www.warmshowers.com.  She already had two travelers with her and they stayed inside--Jason and I slept on the deck in our tents.  Before bed though, she fed us dinner and filled our water bottles.  In the morning she made breakfast for everyone.  If you ever find yourself in that area and need a place look her up.  I have her number and when I get in a better spot internet wise I will post her number.
One of the other travelers was named Paul.  He is going from Kansas to San Diego...so he is almost there after 6 weeks of riding.  The other guy was from Switzerland.  He was traveling from Alaska to....not sure.  But he has been riding for years.  South America, Europe, Australia...pretty much everywhere.  I have pictures of everyone....and will post when in Tempe.  And that my friends was day 3 in a nutshell.  Tomorrow--Day 4--Palo Verde to behind a Mexican restaurant near Hope AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment