Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 25--Fun With Facial Hair


I set my alarm for 5.  I hit snooze when it went off and didn't wake up till 7.  Walked up to the house from the Airstream and Cindy had made a spread of breakfast and coffee. After breakfast Cindy gave me $100 dollars--I tried to refuse the money but it was of no use.  I will put that towards the cause so we are now over $1000 dollars!
Remember that hill I came down last night?  Yeah, it was probably the hardest 1/4 mile of the trip yet!  Super steep.  And there were a few more hill country monsters to content with on today's ride.  I think I am for the most part out of the hills now--made it to Bastrop Tx.
My goal was to go about another 40 miles but ten miles into the ride I got a flat.  I was making super good time too.  Flats always really kill your momentum.
After I changed the flat, which took a long time, I again was making good time.  I couldn't stop thinking about how hard it is to make my pump get 100 lbs into my tire.  It happens, but it takes much time and more effort to make it happen.  Next bike store I pass I am going to get a floor pump.  I thought.  I did come pass a bike shop and went in to get one.  I had some time to cool off on that idea and thought maybe another hand pump would be smarter.  The guy did end up selling me a hand pump--to be honest, I had a spot cleared for a floor pump and wish I would have got one.
I also got a new spare tire.  One of the GatorSkins is done sauce.  It had a large hole in the side.  A lot of people swear by Gator Skins, but to date, I am not a huge fan.  My (much cheaper) Re-Fuse tires have been much more reliable.  FYI if you are a biker.
While at the bike shop the guy asked if I get on my nerves being by myself all day.  It is funny, because I do.  I replied, forgetting to filter myself, "I annoy the fuck out of myself sometimes."  It is true.  There are many examples, but one in particular comes to mind.  You have probably saw them, the signs which say "Do Not Pass".  I don't know how it started, but anytime I pass one of these signs I picture the Gandalf guy from Lord of The Rings saying "You shall not pass!!!"  Every time.  It is amazing how many of those damn signs there are.  At first, it was funny....but like I said, now it is annoying.  Also, later, there is a sign which says, "Pass With Care".  You know what I see now?  Gandalf again.  This time he is like "Ok, you can  come on by now."  In all of his flowing white robes.  I DON'T EVEN LIKE LORD OF THE RINGS!
Anyways, I circumvented Austin on the south side.  I will say at times it was a bit hairy.  I got a few angry honks.  Not too much of interest happened for awhile but speaking of honks, I got a doozy of one.  I was near Bastrop looking at my map on a frontage road--zero traffic.  I was on the side of the road--all the way over--looking at my map.   I then hear a lonnnng honk behind me.  Immediately I know I am an A-hole and am doing something wrong.  I look behind me and there is one...ONE truck behind me.  Well, there must be something going on in front of me that this guy can't pass me.  Nope.  It is me and him on a no traffic road.  I gave him the gesture of, "um, how about you go around me buddy?"  It is international.  The look he gave me as he passed me was one of "what is wrong with you, were you dropped on your head as a baby?"  I mirrored it back at him I am sure.
I went too far.  I failed to get off on an exit when I was supposed to and went 5 miles too far. The sun was getting close to going down so I called it a night--for bike riding at least.
As soon as I am done typing this I am going to bed, BUT, I am now the proud sporter of my very first handlebar mustache.  Pics at top!
Cypress is 100 miles from here, so I am pretty sure I have a century to knock out tomorrow.  Now that the hills are at least less, as long as there is not a head wind, I am pretty sure I can do this.  We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. JJ, you crack me up. Love the Gandolf comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete