Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 17--On The Freeway

Got a nice early start today and thought I was going to make it to my intended destination of Kent Texas.  I made good time all day until I got a flat.  It was not the new tire's fault--more of an operator error.  I wasn't paying attention and hit a large rock which immediately caused a flat.  With in 10 miles I got another one right before I got into Van Horn Texas--which is where I am now.  I still had about two hours of daylight left when I got here--but in the end I decided to stay here for the night.  According to my maps, the next hundred fifty miles or so are pretty sparse on supplies and such.  Even Kent has only a gas station which closes early.  I don't think I would have made it there in time to re-fill my water bottles.  So I decided to camp here but on the way to the camp ground I stopped at the Motel 6.  The clerk was so nice and friendly and gave me a deal I couldn't pass up.  So yet again I am shacked up in a motel.
I did make it 70 miles yet I feel like I could have went further.  I am pretty behind on my schedule now--I guess it doesn't matter.  I will get there when I get there.
Nothing too exciting happened today though.  I got some bread and honey and instead of peanut butter I tried Nutella which is a hazelnut spread.  It tastes great, but doesn't have the right ingredients to be great road food.  It is mostly sugar.  I got that because some of my friends are always ranting about it.  Again, tastes great, but it is less filling than peanut butter.
I also made a sail for my bike today.  I am unsure if it will work or not, but it was fun trying to think it through.  I will take pictures and update if it works or not as soon as I get a tail wind.
Other than that, not much to report.  Kind of a plain day.  I doubt I will be in internet country for a few days--West Texas has not got the memo that the 2000's are here and have not updated their technology much.  I hardly even have cell reception...haha.
Also, Thanks to Eon Jarvis for his donation!  Thanks buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment