Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 16--Glorious Day

First, thanks to my parents who donated to the cause today.  Also, yesterday Kayla N. donated as well.  We are over $500 now and that makes me happy.
I had a frayed front derailer cable and there are no more bike shops for a few more hundred miles.  It probably would have held up but I didn't want to risk it.  I also wanted new tires.  I would not have gone to the store if it weren't for my cable though.  It was about 5 miles out of my way.
The folks at Crazy Cat Cyclery were great!  They changed my cable, tires, and adjusted my seat for $14.  The mechanic (didn't catch his name) pretty much fit me to the bike for free as well--usually a $75 dollar service.  I wanted a new seat, but they didn't have the one I wanted, but they had a guy from another store bring over one they thought would work for me.  It was a good seat but not perfect so I declined it.  Looks like I am stuck with my torture device for another few hundred miles at least.
The tires I got are called Gator Skins.  For the pair it was about $130.  I have heard great things about them and I think the time I lost on the road will be made up by NOT having to stop and make tire changes.
I didn't get on the road until 1:30.  I thought it was a lost day for sure.  But I really killed it once I got going.  Them Gator Skins were chomping up the road and I made it about 60 miles in only 3.5 hours.  It was really how I imagined the whole trip would be--Cruising along at 20 tot 30 mph with not much effort.  It was just nice to see the miles rack up so fast.
I got rained on twice and I thought I was going to get pounded by the mean looking cloud that was chasing me.  It ended up missing me and I am glad because it was a doozy.
Highlights:  At one point I passed three vehicles on the highway.  They were cotton trucks and had full loads but it still made me feel like I was a mananimal.
                      -At one point two dogs chased me.  I am lucky I was able to go so fast today because they were fast!  One was a husky and the other was a mix between a German Sheppard and a rabid Saber Tooth Tiger.  I am not sure why, but so far, bike law says that dogs hate bikers.
I made it to Fort Hancock and had some dinner at the only joint in town.  It wasn't bad at all, but I have noticed that the Mexican food is different the further East I go.  I am going to have to throw a study on this one.
I also got a hotel again.  This time it was because--well, it is cold as hell tonight.  And wet.  I plan to make it to Kent tomorrow and the earlier the start the better.  Packing up the tent in the mornings takes much longer than one would expect.  This way I can A: get an earlier start, and B: Not freeze in the night and more importantly, in the morning.  Every thing is all packed up except my toothbrush so I will be out on the road by sunrise.
I got some fun pictures today, but there is not much cell reception, so I will have to update this later.  One of them is of a giant rooster.  About 10 feet tall or so.  It was next to a lumber store in Fabens TX....I could speculate the relation to a rooster and a wood store--but it would be inappropriate.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Wonder what that big guy was selling. Lol

    Hope the new rubber works out well!! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete