Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 6--Great Ride, Sad Panda--Dills Goes Solo--total so far= about 390 miles!

We woke up early in Wickenberg this morning.  My clothes were still wet.  I guess washing them was a bad idea.  For the most part the ones I needed to ride were dry though. Before we took off we stopped at the local bike shop called the Bike Locker I believe.  We met Tina the night before, she is awesome!  She offered to send some stuff back home for us, and I took her up on her offer.  I sent back at lest 5 lbs more. If you are ever in that area, stop by and say hi.  She is super sweet and very nice.  Thank you Tina!
 We banged out 50 miles in less than three hours and stopped at a McDonalds for some coffee and a snack while we figured out where we were going to stay.   This is when Jason decided he can not continue the ride.  He has had knee problems in the past and his doctor told him not to do this ride but he tried to fight through the pain.  I am sure he could have but he is worried about permanent damage.  He has decided to fight another day after he has got his knee all fixed up.  This bike ride for charity is going to be a yearly thing (or so that is the plan) and I am sure he will be back next year ready to bang out the miles.
I will say that he has been key to this bike trek ever actually happening.  He is the one behind the bikes at cost, the panniers, and many other aspects of the journey.  So thanks to Jason as well.  We shall see how I do solo.
I also want to say thanks to Brenda Wilson.  She is my co-worker's wife and  some kind of big wig at La Quinta Inns.  She secured for us a room tonight for free.  If all goes well I will have the room tomorrow as well as I am taking a day off from riding to rest and recuperate.
One last thanks to the GM here at the LQ in Peoria and the very helpful staff.  If you are ever in need of fine sleeping quarters and are in this area--make this your destination!

3 comments:

  1. Stay safe now that you're riding solo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dills, you could do 390 miles drunk....take care!

    Big C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha just now noticed that last comment. How sweet of him ;)

    ReplyDelete