Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 5--Oh. Hello Headwinds.



We only made it 60 miles today.  It was with out a doubt the hardest day yet though.  The wind blew in our faces the entire day.  We did have to climb most of the day but it was a very gradual climb.  Take the wind out of it and we could easily do 15 mph all day long.  As it was, it was a challenge to keep it at 10 mph.
I rolled into Wickenburg at sundown, exhausted, and got a flat.  We will call it a cherry on top of a rough day.  The plan was to camp, but I needed a shower so bad.  Again, we got a hotel.  It was pretty inexpensive and the hot shower was worth every penny.
We ate at a little Italian joint.  They had a sign that said "Lunch special: two slices of cheese and a medium soda; $4.50."    I am sure any normal person would understand that it was meant to say two slices of cheese PIZZA.  I didn't put that together and asked the waitress if it was really two little slices of cheese and a soda for $4.50.  I was legit serious in my question.  I am pretty sure she thought I was trying to be a smart ass...I really wasn't!  In my defense, I had just spent 8 hours on a bike.
I pulled her aside later and made sure she knew I wasn't being a jerk.  She ended up laughing it off and to her credit, before we left she sent a co-worker over and had her ask if we wanted "two slices of cheese to go".  You got me good fair waitress.  Touche.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the picture before I read what you wrote and I guess I'm a 'tard as well because I thought "what a rip-off! That better be some bomb ass cheese for $4.50!!"

    ReplyDelete