Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 23--Hill Country





I am clearly in the heart of the Hill Country of Texas now.  While the hills are not as taxing as the mountains, they do add up.  I feel like I just climbed all day on a gradual slope.
I woke up to discover  I have a gouge in my rear tire.  I almost changed the tire before I left but figured it might hold and if it did, I would have wasted my time changing it in the morning.  It held all day so I will just let it ride until I feel more like changing it or it forces me to change it.
I have got a slight cold and cant stop sneezing.  Sometimes 15 times in a row.
I only made it to Llano TX today which made for about a 50 mile day.  I could have made it to Spicewood I am sure but would have been exhausted and probably would have had to ride in the dark for awhile.  Just not a fan of that on busy roads.  I also am in a little bit of conservation mode.  I have my little cold which is a little draining and my legs are, like usual, a little tired.  I have a couple of long days planed ahead of me and need to save some energy for that.  I also have--how can I put this PC?--Imagine going out and digging with a shovel all day long.  If you haven't done that too much in the past, your hands would probably get sore and maybe blistered.  Where the seat meets my body I am on the verge of that.  I am using a lotion which really helps to prevent the chaffing, but the days on the road are catching up.  So, hence the taking it easy today.  I really don't want this trip to be ended by over use of the body when it doesn't have to end that way.
Tomorrow it is on to Spicewood--about 50 more miles, which will make two easyish days in a row and still adding miles.  After that I am heading down towards Cypress Texas which is about 170 miles.  Pretty sure I can do that in two days.
Today's highlights:  I met a tourer who was going west. His tire had a big slice in it so he had been pushing his bike for the last few days.  Sucks for him too because the nearest bike shop is 80 miles from where I saw him. (I couldn't help him with a tire because he had a different kind of tire.)  I stopped at a country store and had a burger and talked to the locals.  It is hunting season here and pretty much the whole community is all about that right now. At the same store I played with a dog....he brought his ball over and dropped it at my feet.  So we played fetch for about 5 minutes.....was pretty fun for me.  The dog enjoyed it too I think.
At a gas station I talked to the clerk about what I was doing.  His reaction to where I started was pretty funny.  "You are shitting me.  Are you shitting me?  Holy shit."  That is what he said.  No Shiz.
A good friend of mine who I haven't seen in some 15 years called me and may come down to see me on the trip in a few days.
That is about it for today.  I think I am going to bed soon; try to sleep this cold off.  I have been pounding OJ  all day and I think I have it beat.  Above are some pictures I have taken but not all from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment