Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 43--Houston, We Have a Problem/Hanging By a Thread


Lets see.  I got a late start again!  Slept right through my alarm.  I was pretty wiped out from the day before.  I didn't get going until 9 or so.  When I did get going, I think some little elves snuck in my room and put lead in my legs. Oh so heavy.  It took a good 20 miles to really get  going.  Yesterday I hit 15 to 20 mph all day.  Today, it was more like 10 to 15 mph.
Hills!  Dude, I thought FL was going to be super flat.  Nay.  Erroneous.  All day there were hills.  When I got to Tallahassee--holy shizzzz!  The hills were way worse than the hill country of Texas.  Just monsters.  Rolling monsters.  I still made 80 miles, but it was a gut check of a day.
At the end of "Tally" I almost got a room at a pricey motel.  Because of the price I declined and headed for another 20 miles.  I now somewhat wish I had paid the money.  I am at a real shit hole now.  More on that in a second.
Before I forget: Thanks to MSgt Miranda for her donation today.  Thanks Homie!  And I met two lovely ladies on the road today.  They were headed west for a charity and women's rights.  wwww.againstthegrind.com if you are interested in picking up a new travel blog as mine is about to be over.
So, back to after Tally.  (Tallahassee if you are not picking up what I am putting down).  I maned up and decided to go the extra 20 miles but as soon as I got going I kept hearing something rubbing on my tire.  I stopped and inspected--My left rear bag has almost been ripped off!  It is literally hanging by a thread.  I strapped it on to the bike and finished the day kind of in a limping fashion.
My plan for tomorrow is to mail everything back that is not essential for a two day ride.  I will  pretty much have just a bike and some clothes after tomorrow.  The coast is only 160 miles away so really, I can possibly make it to the Atlantic tomorrow with an empty bike.  I doubt I will push that hard but I will be close after the end of the day tomorrow.
I planned on staying in Monticello Fl (which I am staying).  The name of the hotel is blah blah restaurant AND inn.  The restaurant no longer is open and the room is nasty.  Just gross.  The heater doesn't work (the real reason to stay in a hotel, besides a shower).  The solution by the owner?  Here, here is a portable heater.  (It actually works great).  I said, um, how about I just go to a different disgusting room that has a working heater?  (I left out the disgusting part.)  For various reasons this couldn't happen.  Oh well, whatever.  SO, I am starving!  Food is 2 miles away in town.  Damn!  Further, nothing is open as far as restaurants go.  There was a Dollar General that was open so I bought a bunch of frozen microwave food.  My belly is full, but it is full of crap food.  I will have to get a good breakfast in the morning to counteract this.
Well, that is where I am on my trip.  Almost over and I am glad/sad.  I will be happy to get back home but will miss the adventure.  Everyday on this tour there has been a story.  Sometimes small, sometimes big, but always adventure.  Back home, it is not so much like this.  I hope that I can take this back to my regular life and make everyday an adventure even if I am not riding a bike across the country.  This is one of my lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment