Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 39--3 States in One Day? Not to Happen

My goal today was to finish Mississippi, cross Alabama, and hit Florida--for bragging rights mostly.  Had I did it, it would have been well over 100 miles.  I think I had enough energy to make it happen but I missed the last ferry which would have let me do it.
I was originally going to go through Mobile down to FL, but at the last second I remembered there was another path via Grand Bay AL.  The town I am in now is actually an island and is called dauphin Island.  It seems super cool and I wish I had the the time to tour around it.  Maybe another time.
I had a headwind all day.  Nothing major, but just enough to let you know you had a headwind.  I still made over 70 miles.
Besides the sun being out all day (big change) there was only one other highlight.  (Besides a lot of bridges.  They are like man made hills BTW. Some of them were pretty steep and hard.)  When I made the turn towards the ferry there were like 10 school buses headed the same way.  There was a series of stop signs and railroads at the same area.  Each bus had to stop at the railroads every time.  So, I passed the buses and was passed by the buses 3 times or so.  I got more cat calls from the girls on the buses than I have ever got in my life.  (Highschoolish).  Not sure how I should feel about that haha.  One offered me her half ate orange.  No thanks little lady.  AND, one little butthole threw out a marker at me and it hit me in the side.  I SO wanted to catch up and whoop an ass.  Still, nice shot.  Props to that.
Lastly, at the gas station on the island, I asked the clerk girl for directions.  Here is what I heard: "Go down a mile and make a right.  It is right behind the whore house."  I wanted to say "You have those here??!"  But I knew I must have heard wrong so I just stared at her for a minute.  "Excuse me?"  Oar house.  Ohhhh!  Thanks.  (I actually ate dinner there and it was as far from a whore house as you can get.  A sausage house is a better description.)
My goal for tomorrow is Fort Walton Beach--or Eglin AFB.  Same same.   It will be one of my longer days on the trip but I have a couch to sleep on at a friend's house so it will be worth the extra effort.  Free "room" and catching up with an old buddy.  Until then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment