Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 29--Sloppy and Almost Got Got

Sloppy wet.  Rained all day.  It was kind of a nice rain though.  It was like a lukewarm shower all day long.  My new rain gear held up well.  It still seeped through a little but all in all it did the job well.
Before I got going I ate at a little diner in Liberty and it was great.  All the breakfast food you can think of I put down.  I only had 45 miles to go today so I kind of took my time.  Once I did get on the road I killed it for about two hours.  After that I don't know what happened.  I lost all energy and my legs felt like they had lead in them.  Over all it took 4 hours to go 40 miles when the first 30 was done in about a little over two hours.  When I was a runner this was known as "hitting the wall".   I guess the days and days of riding have caught up with me.  It is not only my legs.  My arms are done sauce as well.  Every time I get off the bike my forearms are on fire.  I have no grip either.  I can hardly tie my shoes.  Totally not complaining; just stating the facts jack.
Because of that and the fact that it is supposed to rain hard core again tomorrow, I am staying here in Beaumont tomorrow for another rest day.  If it wasn't for the rain I think I would still go on down the road but with the tiredness/rain combo, it is rest day for me.
There was only one real highlight today.  When I almost got got.
I was almost to Beaumont when I passed a house with a fenced in yard.  A normal sized Golden Retriever (not a spawn of Satan this time) saw me and when ape shit.  He started running for me, but I relaxed because it was fenced in.  It was a sham and trickery.  The dog knew of a spot he could get under the fence.  He came out ahead of me and I pretty much screwed.  I thought I was done for sure.  I sprinted ahead as fast as I could go, but this butthole actually passed me.  Totally could have got a piece of calf steak if he wanted to.  Once he got ahead of me he kind of lost his tactical advantage though.  Every time he came towards me I aimed AT him.  I also yelled "yaw yaw yaw!" super loud and it worked.
I cant lie, the adrenaline was pouring through my body.  Like I said, I thought he was going to get me for sure.  My legs were shaking afterwards.  I wasn't really scared, it was just the body's natural reaction to a stressful situation.  This dog situation will probably keep me on my toes for the rest of the trip.
Lastly, Thanks to Ken Pedroza for his donation to the cause!  Miss you buddy.

1 comment: