Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 33--East of the Mississippi





I got a late start today.  First, I slept in a little.  Then, when I went to top off my tires I broke off the valve stem on my rear wheel so I had to change my tire.  It was being difficult and took awhile.  I really didn't get on the road until about 11 or so.
I found another toilet on the side of the road!  4 in 3 days now.  This somehow amazes me.
At one point heard the grass moving to my right and behind me.  First thought: An alligator is about to eat me.  This is all going to end because I got by an alligator. I don't know if there really ARE alligators in these parts, but because it is is swampyish, it has been on my mind.  It was a rottweiler.  This butthole broke the rules and didn't bark. He was like a ninja attack rottweiler.  I got away with not much trouble.  But really dogs of the south, lets play by the rules at least, yeah?
Sarah, my host from last night, warned me about a 6 mile bridge I would be crossing.  ( I chose to go to Baton Rouge rather than up north to Jackson LA)  When I came to a monster of a bridge I thought I had found it.  A guy, Arland, came up to me and I chatted him up.  Very nice guy, and when I was about to ask about the bridge he brought it up first.  He sternly warned me to not try to do it on bike.  I told him I would probably try to get a ride.  (This bridge was not the one in question, but only a mile from the big bridge).  He immediately offered a ride.  I took him up on his offer and I am very glad I did.  There was zero shoulder and the cars and trucks were moving at mock 5.  Arland is a talker and during his story of this and that I didn't want to interrupt him and he actually drove me about 10 miles rather than just 7 or so.  Thanks buddy for the ride!
I stopped for lunch/dinner at Carmine's Seafood Cafe. I said I just wanted something light as I still had about 25 miles to go.  They suggested the vegetable soup and grilled cheese.  What they brought to me was enormous.  It was also the best damn soup I have ever put in my mouth.
The sun was getting close to going down now and the people at Carmines told me about the bridge across the Mississippi.  It was even worse than the 6 mile bridge.  My plan was to stop before the bridge and figure it out tomorrow.  I stopped at a run down nasty ass hotel.  I asked how much for a room and he asked if I wanted it by the hour or the whole night.  No thanks my friend.  I don't want to sleep in anyone's bodily fluids tonight.  So, I headed towards the bridge, which was not far at all actually.  When I got there I figured, I am a man.  I am brave.  I will just do it!  However, when I put eyes on said bridge, I pretty much tossed my bravery and man card to the side.  It was a suicide mission.  The speed limit across this thing was 65 and there was zero ZERO shoulder.  I backtracked a few hundred yards and started thumbing it.  After 20 minutes I was doing dances and hand gestures indicating I just needed a lift over the bridge.  30 minutes into it (the sun is almost set now) I get some more courage and decide I will just do it.  Like a pimp.  I put on my game face and charged the bridge on my trusty steel horse.  As I get closer and closer I let out my war cry--Yaaaaaaaaaaaaw!  When I got to about 20 feet to the start of the bridge, I pulled on the brakes.  There is just no damn way I was going to do this and live to tell about it.  The only thing I could do was go backwards about 8 miles and sleep it off.  Damn.
With one last ounce of hope I thumbed it again and John stopped and drove me over the bridge.
The sun was pretty much down now and I was looking for a place to stay.  Some real dirt holes wanted a shiz load of money to stay.  I actually was feeling good and wanted to go much longer.  So I kept going and rode on into the night.  I didn't stop until about 7 or so.  I found a CLEAN motel six that was cheaper than the dives back down the road.
I am not really sure where my path will take me tomorrow.  I actually went off my course about 5 miles in my night ride so that may guide me a different way than I expected.  We will see.  For now, I am going to go to get a little Cha cha chinese food and hit the sack.
One last thing.  Not only did Sarah house me, feed me, and entertain me, she also donated to the cause today.  Thanks so much Sarah!  You rock.
Commode count= 4

No comments:

Post a Comment