Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 32--Canines and Commodes



Today started with a nice life-threatening jolt.  Not my life.  A dog's life was nearly ended as he tried to get me.  I had made it, seriously, 30 seconds into my ride when I got my first dog chase.  I hadn't even thought about warming up yet when I was forced into a full out sprint.
As soon as I got on the road a dog across the street--scratch that--highway--came a charging.  He crossed the road in front of traffic and a semi had to lock his brakes up to not hit the dog.  He chased me for a quarter mile.  Well, I was now warmed up properly.  I really don't know how that little guy didn't get smashed.
Overall it was a pretty uneventful day.  The road is now flat and I can maintain 15 mph fairly easy.  I would say I made good time but I stop way more than I should.  I say to myself, "I wont stop for 20 miles!"  One mile later I am stopped taking a picture of something.
I did see another toilet!  Commode Count is now 3.  It just really boggles my mind the thought of possible events that lead to a person to toss their toilet on the side of the road.
Is it a slow process?  Does the toilet just slowly stop working and the owner finally blow up??
And if so, why the side of the road?  "I have had it with you, you damn toilet!  Why cant you take my football sized turds like the ones at the truck stop?!"  "To the side of the road you go!"
The picture at the top of what looks like woods contains the toilet.  Hard to make out, but it is a toilet I tell you.
Also, besides the dramatic start of the day dog chase there were at least 10 more, but none were close calls like that one.
I am staying at a Warmshowers.org host's house tonight--Sarah.  She is amazing.  Pretty much the epitome of a host in this world.  Much more trusting than I am, but very awesome. (She has allowed people to stay at here house when she was on vacation.)  If you are a biker and are in this area ever, stay with her, but somehow insist to get the bill if you go out to dinner.  I failed on this one.  We had a little tug of war with the check and I lost.
Oh, it is in Opelousas.  I still don't know how it is supposed to be pronounced.
Tomorrow, I have a six mile bridge to cross.  My goal is Baton Rouge, or a place called Jackson LA.  It all depends on certain developments.  Either way it will be about a 70 mile day.  PS, today was a 90 mile day.  NBD.

1 comment:

  1. So the truck driver tried to avoid hitting your pursuer? That's just wrong! If anything could stop a vicious dog mauling it should be a semi!!

    ReplyDelete